“Home made” compression


I am not sure what am I doing wrong, but for now I can not get the OV2640 camera to create a proper jpeg file. Sometime works, sometime not…

Plus, the OV2640 is very expensive, changing from raw to jpeg is slow as I need to load a different set of registries, etc.

So I started to write my own compression algorithm. There is no way to get a jpeg encoder running on any of my boards and I went for a simple RLE instead. So far looks promising: a simple Lossy RLE algorithm help me reduce the size by 50-70%. I am still working on the “decompression” code but so far looks promising. Attached is a “compressed” image @ 160 x 120 in B&W captured with PROCESSING:

 

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 04.11.24

Can’t wait to get everything working so I can test the video streaming :)

Advertisements

2 thoughts on ““Home made” compression

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s